Moolmanshoek is situated in the Witteberg mountain range between the towns of Ficksburg and Rosendal, Eastern Free State, South Africa. The reserve covers an area of 3300 hectares and is a Natural Heritage site (No 199). Moolmanshoek is situated a mere 3½ hours drive from Johannesburg, 4 hours drive from Pretoria, 2½ hours from Bloemfontein. The closest town is Rosendal (20 km away), while Ficksburg, which is on the Lesotho border, is 35 km away.
GPS Reading in car park in front of the lodge: 28 37’55 S / 27 59’59 E
- From Gauteng (Johannesburg)
- From Durban
- From Bloemfontein
- Scenic road via Clarens
- From Ficksburg
- To Langesnek Leadership Centre
- Take the N1 to Kroonstad. When passing Kroonstad, look for the R76 towards Bethlehem, then follow this road towards Steynsrus / Bethlehem.
- At Steynsrus, turn right towards Senekal on the R720 and later left onto the R70. Drive through Senekal on the N5 towards Bethlehem.
- Some 5 km beyond Senekal turn right onto the R70 to Ficksburg / Rosendal. Exactly 10 km past Rosendal, turn left onto the S384 gravel road when you see the Moolmanshoek sign. Continue for 7.5 km until you see the Moolmanshoek sign and entrance gate on the left.
- At Harrismith, turn onto the N5 towards Bethlehem. In Bethlehem, turn left at
Commissioner Street towards Fouriesburg / Ficksburg onto the R26.
- 20km past Fouriesburg turn right onto the S385 at the brown signboard, showing Waterkloof/Nebo/Franshoek. Follow this gravel road for 20km. Just keep going straight – don’t turn anywhere – it will become the S384.
NOTE: This is a beautiful road over the mountain with lovely views, but if it is raining a lot, there can be some bad places. Unless you’re driving a 4×4 vehicle, we suggest you take option 3 below;
- OR go straight on the tar road towards Ficksburg from Fouriesburg (for approximately 40 km). Some 3 km before Ficksburg, you turn right onto the R70 towards Rosendal. Continue straight for exactly 29km, then turn right onto the S384 just after the “Rosendal 10km” sign. Continue for 7,5 km until you see the Moolmanshoek sign and entrance gate on the left.
Scenic road via Clarens
- When approaching via Harrismith, turn left onto the R712 towards Phuthaditjhaba a few km outside Harrismith on your way to Bethlehem. This road passes the Sterkfontein Dam on route to Golden Gate.
- Drive through Golden Gate National Park and just before Clarens, turn left onto the R711 towards Fouriesburg. At Fouriesburg, you turn left onto the R26 towards Ficksburg.
- Then follow the directions as described above (“From Durban”) under point 2 and 3.
- Take the N1 to Winburg. Just past Winburg, take the N5 offramp towards Senekal. Drive through Senekal on the N5 towards Bethlehem.
- Some 5 km beyond Senekal, turn right onto the R70 to Ficksburg / Rosendal. Exactly 10 km past Rosendal, turn left onto the S384 gravel road when you see the Moolmanshoek sign. Continue for 7.5 km until you see the Moolmanshoek sign and entrance gate on the left.
On the Ficksburg / Fouriesburg road, turn left onto the R70 towards Rosendal. Follow the road for 29km, then turn right onto the S384 and follow it for 7,5 km.
Use the same route as to Moolmanshoek. When you are through the entrance gate, turn directly left towards Langesnek.